Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology
From: "Rick - NJ0IP / DJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 13:19:02 -0500
I just changed my settings for German language and did a search for NVIS.
Every time I found it, it quoted the US terminology and usually some US
author.

For the life of me, I cannot think of any German words fitting the
abbreviation NVIS.
Perhaps they were playing with the concept in WW2 but I doubt that they
called it NVIS.
Hitler would have chopped off more than their antennas if he had heard his
"Funkers" using an English term!

Many of us had two antennas in the 60's and 70's, one for DX and one for
local work.
I don't remember ever hearing the term NVIS back then, and I was very active
on both sides of the pond, beginning in the 50's.

73
Rick
PS  "Funker" is the German word for Radioman.  Funk originally meant sparks.
We often called ours "Sparky".