Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology (NVIS origins)

To: <k1vt@arrl.net>, "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology (NVIS origins)
From: "Rick - NJ0IP / DJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 15:48:28 -0500
Actually Jack, you can achieve a near perfect azimuthal radiation pattern
with just one single radial.
The trick is to run it in one direction for about 1/3 of its length, bend it
180 degrees and back on itself, spaced about 3 to 5 inches apart, past the
vertical and extend in the other direction.

2 advantages:
 - achieve nearly symmetrical radiation pattern in all directions
 - the space occupied by the radial is less than a single radial would take
up.

The creator of this idea was Les Moxon, G6XN (SK).
I have built and used this on 40m.
The only other things to note is that the length of the radiator had to be
extended about 10%.
I will guess that the folded radial resulted in a capacitance, which
compensated for the additional inductive reactance, and has the added
advantage of raising the feedpoint impedance to very close to 50 Ohms.
I had to play with the overall length of the single radial, as well as how
far it extended in each direction.
This will vary depending on how much spacing you have in the folded radial.
For starters, you can make it 1/3 of its total length in each direction.
Somewhere I have a write-up of this antenna.
I call it the "One Arm Bandit Antenna".
I gleaned it from RSGB's RADCOM about 7 or 8 years ago.

73
Rick