Re: [TenTec] NEC, ground, grounds, and radials

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] NEC, ground, grounds, and radials
From: Jack Mandelman <modelman@ieee.org>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 10:09:33 -0500
Forget about the formulas!  None of the discussed formulas is sufficiently
accurate of the wide ranges of S/d discussed.  All are approximations that are
reasonably valid only over their limited domains.

A much more practical engineering approach would be to apply a finite-element
analysis of LaPlace's equation using the boundary conditions appropriate to the
geometry of interest.  For these types of problems a 2-D quasi-static analysis
provides much better accuracy than any formulas presented.

Jack K1VT