Re: [TenTec] ant

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ant
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 11:25:30 -0800
On 1/14/2011 6:16 AM, Ed Purvis wrote:
> I need the definition and model number of a "good tuner".Hopefully, something
> without a balun.

The best tuners I know of are the Ten Tec 229/238 (essentially the same
tuners, different appearance to match different vintages of Omni rigs).
Yes, it uses a balun to couple to balanced line.  So what?  :)

I've had other so-called "good" tuners, and the Ten Tecs blow them away.
I own six (I'm a contester).. Less power loss, wide matching range,
match is maintained over a wider frequency range when you QSY, FAR
better switching between antennas.  I run them at max legal power with a
Titan 425. Running high power in contest mode (lots of transmitting)
into certain antennas will blow a fixed capacitor now and then. They're
easy (and inexpensive) to replace.

229s go for $250-$275, 238s for $275-$325, 238B and 238C for more
because they replace the dial cord with a vernier knob for the roller
inductor.

I don't use balanced line, so I've never used the balun. I would run it
at high power in a contest, but it should be just fine for general use.

73, Jim K9YC