Re: [TenTec] Corsair II problem - fixed!

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Corsair II problem - fixed!
From: Don Rasmussen <wb8yqj@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 15:12:38 -0800 (PST)
Thanks to all who offered the key information on my Corsair II repair. I feel
confident that Ten Tec could have fixed the radio, but not possible in 24 hours
and for the price of the part (49 cents) and less labor and delivery charges.
;-)

I could not have accomplished this without some help - so thanks.

The ironic thing about this, is that both of my Corsair 2 radios have been
working fine for years after the obligatory PTO rebuilds. I read suggestions
here about the caps possibly going soft or bad in this era radio (last week)
and think to myself - no evidence of that in mine. ;-)

Funny coincidence. A week later and we have an obvious failure. How many have
we had that are not obvious - no way to know. But I have A/B/C tested these
radios and they are within nominal specs to my ear. Replacing these devices is
non trival using the shotgun approach, lots of boards and wires that have
become quite settled over the years get moved around pretty good.

As a point of interest, the DDS frequency control in replacement for the Ten
Tec PTO is working quite well. In addition to allowing finer tuning than the
PTO could ever provide, like the OMNI encoders, Joe has this tachometer on the
encoder and faster tuning increases the tuning rate, which is even better than
the OMNI's. Contact Joe if you are interested.

http://www.n4yg.com/index.html

Joe has adapted his HW101 DDS for Corsair II and it works nicely. The tuning
speed slows down for fine tuning and speeds up whan the cranking happens fast.

http://lists.contesting.com/_tentec/2010-11/msg00539.html

Don

Re: [TenTec] Corsair II problem
from [Dr. Gerald N. Johnson] [Permanent Link][Original]