Re: [TenTec] OT: USB to Serial interface

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: USB to Serial interface
From: geoffrey mendelson <geoffreymendelson@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 08:42:43 +0200
On Mar 3, 2011, at 7:44 AM, Kim Elmore wrote:

> I'll look for that, though I've never run across anything like that
> before.  I have no FDD in this machine and so disabled the FDD in the
> BIOS. Maybe it's something I did in the BIOS, though I think the FDD
> has been disabled since I put this machine in service.

There is a known bug in XP/SP3 and it's support of USB devices. One
system I have has it, and there is no way I can get rid of, even after
trying everything I could find on the net. It manifests itself on my
system as having to unplug the mouse and plug it into another port
each time I boot.

I did actually fix it once, and then the hard drive crashed. When I
restored the system from a backup, the problem re-appeared. I looked
at my notes, but obviously did not record the fix (or the exact
combination) of fixes that fixed it.

It's an old computer, so it's stuck on XP. In order to upgrade to 1G
ram, it would cost me as much as a new dual core computer with 2g RAM,
to upgrade to 2G RAM, I could buy a new computer with a dual core
processer, 4G or RAM and Windows 7.

I probably will have to do something anyway, with a single core
processor and 512M RAM, it's slow as molasses now.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.