[TenTec] Mystery issue & long live the Omni VI

To: TenTec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Mystery issue & long live the Omni VI
From: Roger Rippy <svtincup@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 05:13:17 -0800 (PST)
Yesterday the Omni VI loss all front panel controls, receive & transmit, but
the LED for frequency were still operating. Some variation of this problem
occurs about once every five months or so. Yesterday, I first tried the two
levels of reset to no avail. I then removed the top and bottom panels of the
rig, pushed all the internal connectors up & down, used contact cleaner on
various contacts, and released pressure and re-tightened the boards. As you may
deduce, I am not much of a technician!! At any rate, I put the panels back on
and the rig is up and running once again. The problem is never quite the same
but so far the solution has been the same.......oh well.

That brings me to the underlying value that I like my Omni 563 more than a lot.
The thought of having to "move up or down" to a newer model of TT is not a
pleasant one on a couple of levels. The new small transceivers by TT, Elecraft
(I do have one of these), and others does not drive any excitement in my ham
shack. Oh well, must be a sign of something or other?! Of course, I also do not
get the least bit excited about the new cell phones/PDA that my guys bring to
work either. Hi Hi Well enough of this thread; I am overly joyed that the Omni
VI is back on line, the SFI is 135 this morning!!!, and there is a lot of DX
around the bands. Life is good........73s  W7RIP