[TenTec] Omni VI "narrow" question

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI "narrow" question
From: David Cuttler <davidcuttler@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 21:27:02 -0700 (PDT)

I have an Omni VI narrow question

My Omni VI Option II has a 1.8 kHz filter in the first IF,
and also a 1.8 kHz in the second IF. When I select the “NAR” button, the volume
increases, and I end up reducing the RF gain. I am one of those operators that
generally keep the audio gain fixed at one setting, and adjust the RF gain to
provide a comfortable listening level.

I suspect that there is an amplification taking place when I
select “NAR” which while trying to compensate for the filter insertion loss,
overshoots
my settings, and increases the RF gain in the first IF.

If this is true, is there an internal adjustment that will balance
the gain when using “NAR?”

I used to own a Corsair II, and thought that nothing could
equal that rig. I tried an OMNI VII, and was not excited with it. I ended up
with a Kenwood TS-830S which was almost as nice as the Corsair II. I still have
it.  I am coming to the conclusion that my "new to me" OMNI VI is the perfect
replacement for the Corsair II.
Any thoughts?
David