Re: [TenTec] 425 Failure

Subject: Re: [TenTec] 425 Failure
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 09:43:13 -0700
On 8/16/2011 9:00 AM, Art Trampler wrote:
> The "only" arc that occurred was within the (teflon) insulated HV line
> feeding the plate caps from the RF choke. It appears that the wire
> inside broke...maybe it was already compromised...under the high
> current drain.

That's the arc I'm talking about -- may have been within the tubes, or
very high voltage generated by the overdrive condition.  Some sort of
arc fried that wiring and the choke.

Another point.  On at least one of my amps, the HV choke looks like it's
been warm, with a few turns of the wire a bit loose at the top. That amp
works just fine.

73, Jim K9YC