Re: [TenTec] Low-Power Tuner

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Low-Power Tuner
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 01:11:30 +0200
Joe, please be careful.

Several people answered you and none of them were wrong, but... perhaps none
of them were right.

Your message is similar to "I'm in the market for a car; what do you
recommend?"

The first guy recommends a Chrysler Voyager because he has a family with a
lot of kids.
The next guy recommends a Corvette because he is single and has no kids.
The next guy recommends a Hybrid because he happens to believe in saving
energy.

There are probably 10 good answers to your email request.
Even though they are "good", 9 may be wrong.

I personally have 6 matchboxes.
A couple I keep for sentimental reasons, simply because I have had them for
40 years.
The others are from different manufacturers and are completely different
from each other.
I use them for different applications.

If you ask me, which of my matchboxes is the best, I can only honestly
answer, "all of them".
Each has its place in my operations.

You need to describe at least a little, what your requirements are.
What power level do you run (100w or 1KW?)
What kind of antennas do you have, and do you plan to have?
Do you want to have the lazy fully automatic solution or are you willing to
adjust a manual matchbox.
(Mind you, for many applications this makes no difference, but for some,
such as matching open wire fed antennas, it makes a difference).

Once you tell us that, we can start to make intelligent recommendations.
Until you tell us that, EVERY recommendation is just speculation, or worse
yet, FLUF.

73
Rick, DJ0IP