Re: [TenTec] Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment

To: wb8yqj@yahoo.com, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
From: Glenn <wa4aos@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 11:01:04 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Don,

One thing I am setting up for, in particular, is logic board work for the Omni
6 and the Paragon series.
I have built 4 test beds with special adapters that I fabricated to raise
components above the surface of the board, once removed for testing.
I am using a logic analyzer and have stored all of the state transitions that
occur on the processor busses once functions are invoked on the front panel or
during encoder rotation,
The schematic for the Omni 6 had a number of errors and I have redraw an over
sized version for my lab.
Finally, I have procured at least 30 pieces of every IC on the Omni 6 logic
board as well as the zeners, diodes and transistors.
At the customers request, I can replace any removed IC's with good quality
machined IC sockets so future replacement of that part will be easy.
I have discovered a number of reoccurring faults and in my opinion those IC's
should go into sockets once failed.

On one of my Omni 6+ here, I replaced every IC with a machined socket, 24
total, and  new IC's,  I did extensive testing to make sure
I saw no extra racket on the spectrum analyzer with the small addition of lead
lengths that the sockets would possibly generate. Absolutely nothing negative
was realized.
I do have a number of fixes to reduce the racket that the processor board
generates and some of those are listed on the Internet.

Bottom line, is personally, I think the Omni 6 and Corsair have two of the best
receivers for Ham bands ever offered.
Both are a little different and both have advantages and weaknesses, this is
why my shack has 2 Omni 6+'s, 2 Corsair II's, 2 Paragon II's a Drake C line
with Sherwood/DSM mods
and several of my R 390A receivers that I have restored. I had several K3's and
although they performed very well, I could never get used to it's RASPY audio.
I also had an Omni 7 and just sold it after waiting nearly 5 years for the real
time band scope that never materialized. I will replace it with the small Flex
just for the band scope.

Many areas of technology have certainly improved with digital technology. And
the Orion, in my opinion, is a very good example of this. However, the only DSP
derived IF that I have been able to tolerate so far
has been the Orion. Out side of it they all give me a headache to listen too.
The other rigs I have are the ones I use because they don't.

At this point of my life, I can afford anything I want to occupy space in my
shack. I have had Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom, AOR and other rigs. Personally, for one
reason or another,
Ten Tec and modified Drake C lines are what I prefer and is where my dollars
are invested. Your mileage may vary.. hi hi

73,
Glenn WA4AOS
DSM Labs