Re: [TenTec] September QST Ad

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] September QST Ad
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2011 08:51:40 -0400
Yeah... well said Paul.

But the whole argument is the biggest RED HERRING I have heard in a long
time.    The argument is totally specious from the start.  This should
have been debunked and discarded early on.

The advocate fails to mention that other brands are typically depicted
with NEITHER MIC NOR KEY attached.

Icom ads often depict Icom rigs set to 7.076 and there is neither mic
nor key attached.   The Icom photos usually end whatever frequency with
the model number, such as  7.076.00  or 7.007.00 or  7.074.10
---cute,...get it?

Yaesu ads often depict their rigs set for 14.195 or 21.295.0, and there
is neither key nor mic in the photo.  Kenwood sometimes uses 14.200 -
but there is neither key nor a mic in the photo.    Sale for the K-3 ads
- no mic and no key are in view.

IF you accept the original argument, then, by analogy, and extension,
all these other companies are even dumber than TT - they show the radio,
but no way to key or mic the rig - so maybe they are really dumb!  At
least TT supplied a hand mic...!

So... the whole argument is specious.  On this basis, everyone in the
business is equally dumb.

If TT is to blame for having a mic attached to the rig on a CW
frequency... then all these other companies are equally to blame, or
worse, for having NEITHER key nor mic attached, and the frequency
becomes irrelevant.

How is TT going to operate the rig ?  Presumably the PTT switch on the
hand mic will key the rig in CW ?   (Or not, I have thought it out that
far, and neither did the guy who started the thread.)    Or, they will
have to QSY and use the appropriate end of the band.

The guy should get a life and stop worrying about whether or not the
photographer in his studio is worried about what the frequency shows on
the rig.  I suspect he is all too wrapped up in setting his lights and
choosing an appropriate F-stop and shutter speed on his camera, to worry
about what frequency the radios shows.  Heck... the guys at Icom, Yaesu,
Elecraft, Kenwood and others... they did not supply any key or mic.

Happy Trails.