Re: [TenTec] Interfacing Computers to Rigs

To: casey@tomochka.com, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Interfacing Computers to Rigs
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 21:11:12 -0400
I understand and appreciate your angst... but if I understand Jim's
position correctly, he advocates rooting out the cause of the problem,
rather than putting a bandage on it - even if the bandage is cheaper and
seems to get the job done.

As an analogy... and please forgive me if I miss the mark... my road to
Heck is well paved with all my good intentions...   but by analogy, you
can sometimes put a few ferrite beads on a cable and it seems to kill a
problem of RF in the shack, ... but it is not as good a solution as
rooting out the cause of the RF, (e.g., a faulty X or poorly grounded Y,
or something else you could fix).   I think it is usually best to cure
the cause of the stray RF than to just put a ferrite bead over a cable
to mask its presence.

Thus... I think Jim is advocating one try to eliminate the problem, such
as the old "pin-1" problem - than to mask it with something  (perhaps an
isolation transformer.)    Not that you cannot avoid the effects of a
problem that way... but it may be better to eliminate the cause, than to
devise an effective mask.

Anyway... I think that is the ideal.   Any traction ?    ;-)

Happy days to y'all.   ===================  Richard -K8JHR  =========