Re: [TenTec] Interfacing Computers to Rigs

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Interfacing Computers to Rigs
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2011 10:16:59 -0700
> simply solve a problem (winding some coils, or whatever, to accomplish a goal)
> or to go further and actually try to understand the underlying theory.
>
> His approach is fairly straight-forward but he does have to go into
> discussions
> of theory in order to make his points.

Thanks Wes. Yes, you've hit it exactly right -- because the fundamentals
of how ferrites behave is so different from what most hams (and most
engineers) have long thought, it was necessary that I go into some
detail to convince them of the correctness of what I was saying.  When
you're debunking myths, you must PROVE it with both logic and
experimental work that backs up what you're saying.  As Neil Muncy said
to me when discussing those who questioned his initial work, "I've
completely described by test setup, anyone can duplicate it and confirm
the result."  I've tried to follow his example.  I had to use a
DIFFERENT test setup because I was working at RF, while he was working
at audio frequencies, but my work was in complete agreement with his,
and with his statement that most RFI was the result of Pin One Problems.  .

Not that what I've been saying is completely new -- in doing the
research, I found references to the METHODS in manufacturers
recommendations dating back to the early 60s, but without technical
discussions of WHY.  AND, primary texts by the most widely accepted
expert on the subject were never widely published, and have been out of
print for several decades.

73, Jim Brown K9YC