Re: [TenTec] Tuner stiff on Century 21

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Tuner stiff on Century 21
From: Ivin Flint <ivinflint@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 16:13:49 -0800 (PST)
Don,  I have been working through that with my Omni D series C.  I called Ten
Tec early last week and got the recommended PTO rebuild kit suggestion. $35.00
I believe plus shipping.  They also suggested some solutions other than that
but the rebuild was the highest recommendation by them.

Some things you can try would be to push in on the knob until you feel the
spring compress some.  Then work the vfo knob up and down to try getting things
loosened up.  I took that advice and it did help.

A google search came up with some interesting options ranging from a rebuild,
opening the PTO and cleaning, to just oiling.
Thursday night I came upon help from a wikipedia post.  It said to unhook the
radio and take the VFO knob off along with the felt.  (I had to take the dial
skirt off as well).  Then with the face of the radio facing upward put some
drops of denatured alcohol on the shaft making sure you get some on both the
small and large portion of the shaft and so it runs down toward the PTO.  Then
turn the shaft all the way clockwise and counter clockwise several times.  Next
use a product called "tri-flow" it is a bicycle chain lubricant.  Do the same
with that product.  I used both pretty sparingly but enough to get a little
down onto the PTO.

I did not have to take out or apart the PTO.  It sure worked great I am
surprised how smooth the PTO operates now and fixed my backlash problem!  I
should have asked the group before proceeding to see if anyone else has tried
it and if there were any long term problems.  But, I took my chances and after
a couple days still no regrets.

Just a thought to help you.  Good luck.
Ivin W9ILF