Re: [TenTec] OT: Old QSTs, CQs, etc.

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Old QSTs, CQs, etc.
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 18:07:30 -0500
Interesting alternative, but no way near as quick, clean and easy as my
duplex page scanners.   The only advantage to that, is you don't have to
clip the binding.  I have single page flatbed scanners for books and
other materials I do not, or cannot, scan as separate sheets.  But if
the point is to archive and toss the original, then it does not matter
if I have clipped the bindings or not.

Your link is to a process that entails taking a separate photograph of
each page, and then stitching the photos together in a single file, and
later compressing to PDF format.    There is a real good reason why that
process has never appeared as a business solution !   Making the
camera-book-light holding jig is just one reason... manually turning the
pages is another... having to process each image separately, and then
stitching the photos together in the computer is another...  the reasons
are multiplying.

A $300 duplex scanner is looking pretty efficient and  cost
-effective... and my $2500 scanner blows it away !

BUT... this IS an alternative, nonetheless.

Thanks for the link.

On 12/27/2011 3:41 PM, Ron Kolarik wrote:

> If you have a large amount of material to archive this may be a
> better solution than scanning.
> http://www.diybookscanner.org/

//