Re: [TenTec] SWR meter glitch on Scout 555

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SWR meter glitch on Scout 555
From: Stuart Rohre <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 14:11:05 -0600
Casey,
I will take as stab at it, but don't have my schematic at hand.  The
gradual rise and falling back seems like a capacitor charging.  The
twitch could be a leaking capacitor.  The reversed deflection could be a
capacitor shorted and thus allowing an incorrect voltage polarity.  It
could also be a diode problem.  Open or short, I would have to refer to
a schematic.
But anyway, I doubt if it is the meter itself; it is the rectifying and
filtering circuit board that processes the signals to the meter, power
and RF.  Check the SWR detector diodes and associated circuits, and the
power circuits.  After checking the obvious things, and you don't figure
it out call Ten Tec Service, likely they have seen the symptoms before.
Good Luck,
Stuart Rohre
K5KVH