Re: [TenTec] Tuner Questions

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Tuner Questions
From: d.e.warnick@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 21:37:53 +0000 (UTC)

It all depends on what you're tuning.

I've used TenTec 238 & 229 tuners (same thing, different color). They work

I now have Palstar AT5K & BT1500A. Both are great.

Now the nitty-gritty. If you're tuning coax, don't. I'm very narrow minded
about this, but unless the match is at the load (antenna), you're masking the
SWR and doing nothing about the loss. Some of the best advice I ever got was
from Bob, K4TAX. Go to a balanced tuner like the Measures units. That's why my
AT5K is for sale. I love it, but don't use a long wire. That's the only reason
to use an unbalanced tuner. An internal balun is no guarantee of an efficient
or a truly balanced tuner and antenna. If the balun is at the output side, it
works with the high SWR and has high losses and gets hot. None of that is good.

I'm very fortunate in that when I moved to this QTH 2 years ago, I began to
match all my antennas at the antenna for coax. I do plan a horizontal loop
someday and who knows what else I'll try. So the BT1500A and an old homebrew
(or maybe another one) will tune the homebrew balanced line.

When you say 'match the Omni VII' I assume that you mean cosmetically, then you
have only one choice. Spend a lot of bucks on a newer black TT 238. They will
work great, but won't do much more than the Drakes you have now.

Just my extremely narrow view after 48 years of this. Let the flames begin.

Good luck with your decision.

73

Dave

WA3F