[TenTec] X-Lock-3

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] X-Lock-3
From: scottsheppard@videotron.ca
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 20:48:59 -0500
Interesting discussion and points raised...

I do not think it was really ever about a minor drift---any rig will do that
and then settle down to some extent...it was more the seizing and jumping
around as you turned the dial that caused some concern.

Even then, its really not a huge issue...I just found it a lot of fun to play
around and modify the rigs and bring them into more modern specs. (easily
reversed for those purist moments)... I really don't notice any difference in
my rig other than smooth tuning (and the rig is about a lb lighter)...I think
what really stands out to me is how even older Ten-Tec radios maintain their
relevance even many years after they were made...both in terms of performance
and their ability to be maintained. I was just given an Icom ic-751 for free to
see if I could get it going again...while I am not an electronics expert by any
means, I was somewhat surprised to see how poorly it was constructed. It looked
like a really cheaply constructed transistor radio of days gone by...jumpers
everywhere, parts tacked on here and there and factory 'no name' parts long
since out of production stuck to a cheap PC board...my Ten-Tec's have their
issues but they look simple in comparison.

Whatever works and keeps them on the air is fine by me.

73

scott  Va3IED