Re: [TenTec] 600 Meters, anyone?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 600 Meters, anyone?
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 20:04:45 -0800
On 2/15/2012 6:45 PM, Bwana Bob wrote:
> Well, since the power level is 1 or 5 W, it would probably be a T-kit.
> For a receiver, a direct conversion kit would do or an AM broadcast
> radio detuned and fitted with a BFO.

You've missed the operative words, "EFFECTIVE RADIATED ISOTROPIC POWER"
-- in simple words, the power limit takes antenna efficiency into
account, and almost any antenna 99.9% of hams can put up for 600M is
going to be VERY inefficient.. I've seen a suggestion from a good
engineer  that 100W through a tuner into a typical 160M transmitting
antenna like an inverted L or Tee vertical, with radials, would get you
fairly close to 5W ERIP.  So what we're going to be looking for is
transverters with very good antennas, small power amps, and antenna
tuners designed for the much lower frequency.

73, Jim K9YC