Re: [TenTec] 600 Meters, anyone?

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 600 Meters, anyone?
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 23:41:47 +0100
I was even more consequent.
I chose to "Never Say Die" and followed Wayne Green (W2NSD), resigning from
the league.
At the time I thought it was the right thing to do.
After all, in the age of flower power and Viet Nam war, I went into the
army.
I still had this pent up need to protest something.  Instead of the war, I
protested the league.

In retrospect it was the wrong thing to do.
I should have remained in the league and we should have voted out the guys
that inflicted that upon us.
I'm not against learning and improving, but for me, "incentive" means I gain
something, not lose something.
I was a conditional, living overseas with no way to take the license exam.
I am an extra now.

I agree that the tests have become easier.  I don't think that is a bad
thing.
I was also one of the ones wearing a "No CW" badge in the late 1980's.
My favorite mode is CW but I realized that the times had changed and felt we
should highlight the incentives for learning code, not force it down
people's throats.
I believe I was right.  I have watched lots of guys here in DL who were
technicians for 20 years get codeless privileges on HF, and then become
outstanding CW contesters!

We now have 700,000 hams in the states.
We need large numbers:
 -  to have a strong enough voice to be able to keep our frequencies
 -  to keep manufacturers interested in building radios for us

Making the tests easier was necessary to continue to attract new blood into
our hobby.
The monkey is on our backs, we old timers, to step up to the plate and be
the kind of Elmer we all had when we learned all that hard stuff way back
when (mine was 1962, and although my test no longer required drawing the
schematics, my Elmer made me draw them before he let me take the test).

73
Rick, DJ0IP
(Elmer Fudd)