Re: [TenTec] Omni C

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni C
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 08:53:12 +0100
Mike,

YES, that RCA phono jack is indeed the PTO output, and it should be in the
range of 5 to 5.5 MHz.
If you don't have any signal on the frequency counter, AND YOU ARE SURE YOUR
COUNTER IS WORKING, then your PTO is not working.

THE FIRST THING TO DO is to make sure the counter is working.
You can check this on the SSB Board (80449) by measuring at the junction of
R16 and R17 in the emitter circuit of Q3.  You should see (approximately) a
9 MHz signal there.

Then double check the Phono jack coming out of your PTO.
Check that it has 5 MHz on it.
To measure the signal from the PTO, insert a new Phono Plug (with its shell
removed) into the Jack and measure its center pin.  Or, remove the cover
from the PTO and measure directly on the jack, inside the box.
You MUST be able to measure a signal there; otherwise the PTO is not
working.

When going through the schematic of the 80278, NOTE that there is a mistake
on the page (3-12).
On the top it shows the 4 pins coming out of the box.  The two in the middle
are BOTH labeled "VFO REG.".
The one on the left is the VFO REG., the one on the right is the "VFO SHIFT"
(voltage coming from the OSC. MIXER board).

There is a second mistake in the schematic, on Page 3-6 showing the wiring
of the entire radio.  On this page TT forget to draw any +Voltage going into
the PTO.  I have never worked on the PTO, other than to adjust the
frequency, so you will have to ask someone else what voltage connects to it,
but it is probably the regulated +8v and I guess it must enter on the pin
labeled VFO-REG (the one on the left).

YES, you must have continuity between the center wire of the phono plug
which plugs into the PTO, and the Phono Jack "VFO OUT" on the back panel.
I'm sure you do.  Sounds like the VOM is not making a clean connection the
plug's center pin. When I'm measuring on older radios, I use probes with
points sharpened as sharp as a needle. That way I am sure I make contact.
Careful; I rarely manage to measure without drawing blood!  ;-)

Gud Luk, Mike.

73
Rick, DJ0IP