Re: [TenTec] Testing Argosy final amp current

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Testing Argosy final amp current
From: John <jh.graves@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 21:09:27 -0500
Scott, Dave, And Ed,

Thank you for the answers.  the rig is an original Argosy S/N 00042 and
I don't know what, if any,  mods have been done to the rig.

I did misread the instructions for the front panel drive settings.  It
was one of those things done with the rig open on the desk and the
manual in the lap.  It seemed funny, which is why I asked the question.
Of course, when I went back and re-read the the manual, it says CCW.

I don't don't think you have to disconnect the power lead (gray) to the
driver pair to test the final pair.  The red lead is the source of all
power, at the very least, to that part of the board, and the gray lead
is in a terminal next to and connected the the end connection of the red
lead and goes to the driver pair..  That is still a good question and I
might call tomorrow and ask the question just to be sure.

The final is now set and I see 135 -140 ma current with zero drive and
key down (locked).    I have seen a few remarks that 125 ma may not be
enough to keep the final from dropping to Class C when pushed.  The
remarks were for the Argosy but I don't think it was absolutely clear
which model/version was under discussion.

Dave, I was able to unscrew the back panel and pull the panel back far
enough to make the measurements.  If I had to do anything else, it would
require unsoldering most of the leads both to the final board and all
the connections to the rear panel as well.  I did cut the red wire and
will solder it together and cover it with a small length of heat shrink
tubing when all is done.

I am hoping that I don't need them but ASI? lists a replacement for the
MRF 477's.  I believe it was Mike Bryce who said they are not as rugged
as the originals.

Thanks again to all who have answered my questions and pointed me in the
right direction.

73,  John / WA1JG

John / WA1JG