Re: [TenTec] adding xtal filter to the Orion

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] adding xtal filter to the Orion
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 07:32:07 -0800
It still sounds to me based on your original comments that the noise you are
hearing is actually originating in the PA of the other radio, not as a
result of lack of selectivity or front-end overload of the Orion.  A really
good transmitter may have residual broad band noise of -120 dBc which is
generated by the output transistors even when there is no RF (transmit mode,
but key up), but some radios have considerably less, as little as - 80dBc.
This would amplified by the amplifier, and added to it by virtue of its own
secondary emission noise.  Once generated, it contaminates the site and you
can't filter it out.  The added selectivity would be needed on the
transmitter, not the receiver.

As far as breaking the tmp cable from the A0 board to the A3 board, it's
easy to do, and I did it to add a 3 dB splitter so I could connect an
outboard Perseus SDR receiver to the main antenna to run CW Skimmer and
other spectrum analyzer functions.

             Ron Castro
                  N6IE
         www.N6IE.com