Re: [TenTec] Heil/TenTec Microphone cable

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Heil/TenTec Microphone cable
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 22:06:14 -0400
Suggestion 1 --

Check the mic wiring diagram for the Omni VII which uses an 8 pin mic
connector, and see which wires/pins are assigned to which wire on the
HEIL cable.   Then determine how that relates to the 4-pin mic
assignments for your rig.   I think you will be able to figure which
wires on the 8 pin connector to assign to the corresponding pins on the
4-pin connector on your radio.  I think  you can ignore the  other end
(the XLR end).    I can email you the Omni VII mic assignment chart if
you cannot find it otherwise.

Suggestion 2 --

If you don't find a suitable diagram...  you might do as I did when
changing one of those cables for a different radio:

FIRST... I got wild with the continuity check my multi meter and mapped
out the wires and connectors from one end to the other.   I also  opened
the cable connectors and check for jumper wires between the inner
connectors (especially on the XLR end) and mapped it all out.

THEN... I compared it to the mic wiring diagram in the TenTec user
guide, and completed my map diagram accordingly.

THEN... I changed connectors on the cable to match the mic to the rig.

FINALLY,  I tested it all with my continuity checker to be sure I
followed the map/diagram I made in the First Step.   (and I admit I had
not done so on my first try...oops.)

I would just send you my diagrams, but my cables use 3-connector XLR to
8 pin TT/Yaesu connectors... but I think process described above will
allow you to figure it out safely.

Hope this is helpful.   Happy trails to ya.