Re: [TenTec] Using an Argosy in the Field

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Using an Argosy in the Field
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 17:59:37 +0200
Yes, that's also a very good antenna, James.
Just be sure you keep it real lightweight, or your fiberglass pole will bend
too much.

It's no problem to build lightweight dipoles, but DO NOT USE the 60 year old
examples the ARRL still shows in their antenna books.  Use lightweight
stuff.  Plexiglass insulators, heavy duty fishing line or twine for rope,
etc.

The only thing I would do different to what James described is, instead of
using a pipe for the base mount, I would use a piece of angle iron.
Why?
First, it weighs less.
Second, you can strap the retracted mast to the angle iron using two small
straps (camping supplies).
That way the mast is fixed and you don't have to hold it while telescoping
the fiberglass pole segments up.
Here's a picture of my installation at home using this method:
http://www.dj0ip.de/antennas/spiderbeam/pole-base-mount/
(that's a heavy duty angle iron, because it's supporting an 18m pole).

If you use a smaller pipe than the ID of the fiberglass pole, you have to
extend the pole before you can slide it over the pipe.  This can be
inconvenient when you are working alone.  With a helper, no problem.

With a large pipe, you can slide the pole inside of it and don't have to
hold the pole either, but a large pipe is very heavy.

In practice, 9 times out of ten you will find something to use, like a fence
post or small tree, and you don't have to use anything.  I usually just
strapped it to my motorbike, but most people probably aren't traveling by
bike.

ANOTHER thing is to take a very small pipe (1" od) and very short (abt. 1
ft.) and then pound it into the ground under your car's rear view mirror.
Put a cap on the short piece of pipe before pounding it into the ground.
Lift the retracted pole and set it over the pipe (pipe sticking about 4 or 5
inches out of the ground, and strap the pole to the rear view mirror (or tie
it with rope).  Then you can push it up, one section at a time, all by
yourself.

GUYING THE POLE:

Buy a cheap flimsy pole and worry about guying.
 - Or -
Buy a good quality pole, hang a lightweight wire antenna on it and don't
even worry about guying.
It's not necessary.
This is not theory guys, I've been doing this for over 30 years.
Back in the days when I used cheap fishing poles (crappie poles), I broke a
lot of poles.
I have never broken one of the poles like the ones Scott sells and I use
these all the time.

73
Rick, DJ0IP