Re: [TenTec] OT somewhat

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT somewhat
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 13:43:34 -0500
Basically it is the one you choose.  Some offer more features and some are
more complex while others are easy to use.  Be assured the everyone will
have their personal opinions and findings.  Pick a free one, try it and if
you don't like it, dump it.  Then go for another free one.   Basically they
all work and work well.  Just that some tie to logging programs, DX spots
and such while others don't, and some can control the radio functions,
frequency, mode, and etc. although  usually by RS-232 communications.

One key is the interface between the computer and the radio that can make
things work or not work.  I personally choose the 712 USB Soundcard
Interface from Tentec.  The software in the computer handles all the audio
levels and commands and there's only one cable to use between the computer
and the radio.  I have a true RS-232 cable between the computer and radio to
handle radio controls and commands.   "True" RS-232 means not using a USB
serial conversion system.  Some of those work, some don't work well.
Depends on the chip set and the computer operating system that can get
messy.

73
Bob, K4TAX