Re: [TenTec] Radial Research - Dipoles & Verticals.

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Radial Research - Dipoles & Verticals.
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 23:28:40 +0200
John, you bring up a good point; radiation pattern.

It has been said that a very low dipole begins to become omni-directional.
I have not modeled it.
But I can tell you, this has definitely not been my experience.

Many years ago (abt. 30), I had the problem that year after year I had great
difficulty to work UA9/UA0 Asiatic Russia, on 80m in CQWW DX Contest.  This
is a multiplier which "should be" easy to work.  I could hear them 5x6, 5x7,
I called and called an could never work them.  Maybe eventually I did get
them after a hundred calls (exaggerated), but it was a pain working them.
THE PROBLEM:  I always built my 80m dipoles broadside to stateside, because
I wanted to work the states.  And I did.  But I played hell trying to work
into Asia.

One year I got the idea that it was off the end of the dipole and that was
my problem; I connected the center and the shield of the coax together, and
then fed it to a matchbox.  I needed a counterpoise so I connected the
center and shield of the coax of my beam to the ground side and used it as a
counterpoise.  I called the UA9 and got him second or third call. It worked.
In fact it worked well.

I know this antenna was a much better dipole than it was a vertical, but
when feeding it as a dipole, I just couldn't get through to Asia.  It was
pointed in the wrong direction.  Once I fed it as a vertical,(a vertical
"T", to be exact) I worked the UA9 easily.  I repeated this trick for a
couple of years, then decided I needed to also have a vertical on 80m, in
addition to my dipole (NOT "instead of").

After that I began putting up an 80m vertical each year, just for CQWW
contest.
First I used a Butternut, later I switched to home-brewing my vertical
(cheaper and better).
Once I began using a half way decent vertical, the country count on 80m went
way up.

This is why I say that even if one is not able to put up a fantastic
vertical with 98 radials, ANYTHING halfway decent can be a big boost in
signal in one direction or another.

Sometimes "folklore" can improve your contest score (hi).

While operating 4U1VIC in CQWW DX contest at the United Nations Building in
Vienna, we were able to string our 40 and 80m dipoles 100m in the air.  That
is 333 ft. high!  (yes, the buildings are that high!)
We also placed verticals on the roof with lots of radials (20 or more, I
can't remember exactly).
The horizontal dipoles worked just as good for DX as the verticals because
the dipoles were high; very high.
At those heights, there was absolutely no advantage to having a vertical.

Back on the ground, things look different; very different.
The vertical is not a wonder antenna and it is not better than a dipole.
It just works better for DX when both antennas are low to the ground.

So if you can't get your dipole high in the air, a halfway decent vertical
can be a very advantageous weapon for you.
You don't need 98 radials, but it helps.
If you can string just 10 radials, the vertical will work well for you. 20
radials would be better.
Just don't expect too much with just 4 radials or less!

AND PLEASE DON'T INTERPRET THIS TO MEAN THAT THOSE MULTI-BAND TRICK
VERTICALS THAT WORK 9 BANDS ARE GOING TO WORK THIS GOOD; THEY DO NOT!
THERE'S NO FREE LUNCH.

I use home-brew monoband verticals, shortened by top-hat loading (wire
top-hats sloping 45 degrees to the ground).
Anyone who wants information on how to build these can find it on my web
site under ANTENNAS / Verticals.

73
Rick, DJ0IP