Re: [TenTec] gas on the fire

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] gas on the fire
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 17:00:48 -0400

On 5/21/2012 3:47 PM, Paul DeWitte wrote:

> First, I think that if you modeled a ground mounted vertical and the same
> vertical at 330 feet above ground, you might find the radiation pattern
> (take off angle) would not be the same for the two installations (just my
> guess).

                This makes sense to me.   Can the NEC-based modeling
                programs do that ?   They seem to consider different
                ground conditions... but what if ground is 350 feet away ?

                Good question.

> Second, so far no one has said anything about grayline DX (or about that
> time) when some claim that a dipole works better than their vertical. This
> is on the low bands, dont know about higher freq.

                More of the mysteries of propagation ...  I think
                many hams know very little about the vagaries
                and effects of propagation --  and I am one who
                needs to learn more about this aspect of radio.
                Hams often talk about take-off pattern, yet blithely
                ignore what might be happening to the signal after
                it leaves the the back yard.

> About S meter accuracy. You either hear them or you dont. If you can hear
> them and work them, it dont make any difference what the S meter reads.
> I worked a lot of DX on my Omni C that did not move the S meter needle, but
> they made it into the log.

                I thought there was a school of thought that
                based the signal strength component of signal
                reports on S-meter readings - in which case it would
                matter to them whether or not S-meters were
                1)  accurate,  and 2) consistent between rigs.
                If so, then I think this would be a worthy topic
                for beating to death.      ;-)