Re: [TenTec] Rsc value for LM723 in 280/255 power supplies?

To: Clayton Brantley <clayton_n4ev@yahoo.com>, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Rsc value for LM723 in 280/255 power supplies?
From: Mike Bryce <prosolar@sssnet.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 15:38:39 -0400
pete,

the .68 ohm resistor does NOT set the current for the supply. That's done by
the four .15 resistors mounted on the pass transistor PCB.
the resistor monitors base current to the 2n5301 transistors. If it's cooked,
egads!

The circuit Clayton mentioned is a classic 78XX 'wrapped 'round' a pair of
transistors. Any of the handbooks should have a copy of the schematic.

The problem is, there is NO over current protection if you use that design
instead of the ten tec one. And with no over current protection you can really
wipe out a set of finals. At the least, get the magnetic circuit breaker from
airpax to protect the final output transistors if you use any other power
supply.

The current pot is what sets the 'trip current' for the supply. The output
current is monitor by the voltage drop across the four .15 resistors. WHen
excessive current is pulled, a transistor is turned on that supplies the scr
with gate voltage. that fires the scr and it removes base drive from the mje520
transistor, shutting down the base current to the pass transistors. To reset
the scr, you power the supply down and then back on.

there is another scr used for overvoltage shut down and that's located on the
pass transistor pcb.

this could be ugly.

the 723 is more than likely shot.
the MJE520 is toast, too