Re: [TenTec] Just a 'foot-in-mouth' observation

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Just a 'foot-in-mouth' observation
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 11:43:41 -0700
On 6/27/2012 11:22 AM, Phil Sussman wrote:
> I'm sure Jim agrees that it was not his intent to demean others with
> his opinion. Unfortunately, some have taken the lead in inflicting that
> view to me and others -- emphatically!

Every FD I've been part of has included a broad range of participants,
and this year's was no different.  Of the dozen or so guys at K6MI, only
four operated the HF station, and I was the only one who put in more
than an hour or two. One set up a satellite rig and made some Qs.
Another set up the VHF station and made some Qs.  Except for the
satellite station, I didn't see an antenna for anything about 6M.
Mostly the guys did the setup, hung out, chewed the fat, ate, downed
some 807s, and had a generally good time. One of the guys brought his RV
and did all the cooking. And that has been pretty typical of every FD
I've been part of. The difference is that, because we were in the middle
of nowhere, we didn't have a GOTA station. We were about a half mile
beyond a locked gate on a mountain peak, and visitors had to hike in. A
few did, and we gave them a nice tour.

Bottom line -- our emphasis was on having a good time too. For some of
us that meant operating, for some setup, for some hanging out.  And no
one who worked me on the air knew I was gritting my teeth.

73, Jim K9YC