Re: [TenTec] Field Day Drill

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Field Day Drill
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 00:51:37 +0200
Steve,

First, I want to apologize to the originator of this thread for hijacking
it, but Steve and his first field day experience is an interesting topic.

Steve, like Jim, you have my highest respect for being a new ham and 100%
CW.
Well done sir!

Field Day is my favorite ham radio event because it offers several things:
 - the opportunity test one's ability to plan and quickly set up a complete
station (or stations) including antennas
 - a means of testing the efficiency of the station (the contest)
 - a tool for perfecting one's own skills (the contest)
 - a social aspect (bar-b-que with friends and family)
 - a real time forum for discussing what worked and what didn't

Perhaps you missed out on part of the fun by not being present for the
planning (assumption) and installation of the antennas and station.  I think
I enjoy this part just as much as the event itself.  Of course if they set
up on Friday, than may not be possible.  In any case, it might still be
interesting to join in on the planning.

Contest:  clearly that is not everyone's bag.  In fact most hams are not
contesters.  However there is no better chance to test the capability of
your station than in a contest because there are hams on the air virtually
everywhere, the entire time.  You are able to see what works and what
doesn't.  You can compare antennas, etc.

Teaching the new hams:  Now that apparently did not happen in your case.
Normally most clubs have a GOTA (Get On The Air) station and they have one
or more experienced operators assigned to train the new person (sometimes
not yet a ham) on operating procedures.  However this is almost always only
done in SSB.

THE PROBLEM:  We CW guys are kind of unique.  As long as I can remember (and
that's going back 50 years) there were 20 to 50 people hanging around the AM
(later SSB) station(s) and 2 or 3 of us in the CW station area.  We CW guys
were considered strange animals, but I can't help but think they admired us
for our ability to do what we do.  YOU jumped in with both feet and
apparently managed the job, though you were a bit unhappy with the event.
Perhaps you should have spoken with the CW team before the event, let them
know your expectations and asked them to help you get started.  Most likely
they didn't understand the need.
You see, if you can work CW at that speed, everyone just assumes you already
know what you are doing... THAT'S the problem!

Anyway I would certainly give it a second shot.
Believe me, we old farts that have been doing it for many years are really
grateful when a new ham joins our ranks.  The more hams we can get on the
key, the more time we (ourselves) will have to go socialize with the others.
Hey, just because we enjoy CW, that doesn't mean we don't like to minger
with the others and join in on the Bar-b-que!

Speak with your CW team and I'm sure they will be glad to give you whatever
help or support you need next year.

Again, WELL DONE!

73
Rick, DJ0IP