Re: [TenTec] OT: Field Day Drill

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Field Day Drill
From: Stuart Rohre <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 19:40:57 -0500
John, very interesting about your FD set up to use minimum of antenna
supports.

We had an 88 foot doublet so that we could do verious bands for the SSB
guys.  And, I elected to use only a 20 foot sip up mast to make erection
safer for our aging crew.  It was as easy an antenna raising as ever we
did.  The proof was in how well the ivnerted doublet worked at only 20
foot, but in an open area.  We might try 30 feet next year, but probably
should practice raising that.  20 you can walk up without it bending too
much.  I am leery of walking up a 30, and would try to raise it from 10
foot up a study ladder.  We are lucky to have a lightweight ladder that
can be bucked by one study person, or put up as an A frame ladder and
again bucked by one.

Yes, having been a fireman and participated in a "church raise"
(straight up) of an early aluminum ladder, (built like a battle ship, 40
feet tall extended).  You do that with six very trust worthy guys,
robust in their ability to hang onto the guy lines and the base of the
ladder, while the sixth one pulls the raising halyard.

-Stuart Rohre