Re: [TenTec] TT 580 Delta

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TT 580 Delta
From: "Mike Hyder -N4NT-" <Mike_N4NT@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 07:48:53 -0400
When down at Ten-Tec once, I saw the late Al Kahn's car parked in the lot.
He used the 580 Delta as his mobile rig.

I've owned two of 580's, Argosy analog & digital, a 544, an Omni-C and a
Corsair II. Of those I owned, my least favorite was the Corsair II. I'm sure
it was technically the "best," but it had a 'rushing' sound in the received
audio that I did not care for. The 580 Delta and the others did not have
that sound. I thought there was a 'Ten-Tec sound' that was quiet, the
signals seeming to materialize out of the quiet. All had it except the
Argosy and Corsair II rigs. The Argosy developed the Ten-Tec sound when I
replaced its 4-pole SSB filter with the model 220, 8-pole SSB filter which
gave vastly superior reception even on CW (no phone here). The Corsair II
came close to the Ten-Tec sound when its audio came through an Autek QF-1A.

I only used the 580 Deltas at my home station and never worked contests or
DX with it. For my use it was a great rig.

73, Mike Hyder  -N4NT-