Re: [TenTec] 40m BCI and Ten-Tec vs. Elecraft

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 40m BCI and Ten-Tec vs. Elecraft
From: GARY HUBER <glhuber@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 14:27:57 -0500
This is probably a good time for me to chime in with a couple examples of
Ten-Tec's great service ethic.

1. When I sold my ten year old (plus) OMNI-C (loaded with crystal filters)
with matching remote VFO and speaker-PS to my best friend only to have him
call me three weeks later complaining of the rig no longer working; I
suggested he call Ten-Tec service to ask for their help in diagnosing the
problem. He called and spoke to Gary or Paul, who determined the diodes on
the SWR board may have been damaged by a close lightning strike when the
antenna was connected during a storm the previous week.  The TT service man
suggested that my friend buy the replacement diodes locally (Radio Shack or
radio-TV shop) and then explained how to remove the SWR board, how to remove
the the defective diodes, how to correctly install the replacement diodes
including soldering instructions, how to reinstall the SWR board, and close
up the radio. Although my friend had little electronic repair experience,
being a gunsmith he was very meticulous and precise with basic tools and
metal work; Ten-Tec service was able to encourage my friend to do his own
repairs with assurances they would help him and were just a phone call away
if soldering in two diodes didn't fix the problem. When my friend called me
back he was very excited that he had repaired his Ten-Tec OMNI-C and that
Ten-Tec Service Department had supported the trouble-shooting and repair of
a 10 year old, second owner radio by a phone call.

2.  I purchased a new TITAN-425 amplifier from a dealer at a significant
discount, when Ten-Tec offered a new revised version. Within a month I had a
couple of failures for which Ten-Tec Service department sent me replacement
parts (plate choke and vacuum relay) at no charge, but when the plate
current meter began showing significant current during idle I called Ten-Tec
Service and asked for help and was told to ship it back. A week later I
received an email to call Ten-Tec Service. When I did so, Paul asked me if I
wanted the good news or bad news first. I said I might as well have the bad
news first. Then Paul said, "The two 3CX800-A7s are bad, they are out of
Eimac's one year from production warranty and they cost right at $350
apiece." I replied, "but I just bought that amplifier, its new, as you can
tell by the absence of wear on connectors, switches, and the thermal ink on
the tubes." Paul then said, "the good news is, we agree, you bought a new
Titan 425 which appears to have sat on a dealer's shelf unsold for more than
a year so we (Ten-Tec) are replacing both 3CX800-A7s from our stock,
updating your TITAN-425 with the latest modifications - revisions and
providing expedited return shipping so you'll have your amplifier for the
contest this weekend." I saved over one thousand dollars on the purchase of
my TITAN-425. I learned how to repair the RF deck as the result of the
initial failures. Ten-Tec may have lost some money short-term on my
TITAN-425, put they wound up with a very satisfied customer who has returned
to purchase another $10k or so of new products directly from Ten-Tec!

I have had other favorable experiences with Ten-Tec service including the
repair of my Model 253 Automatic Antenna Coupler. The Model 253 being old
has some rather expensive parts and Paul wanted to make sure I understood
the cost before he ordered the parts.

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M