[TenTec] Model 418 Amp

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Model 418 Amp
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 23:36:28 +0200
I have just returned from a 5 day trip to Kiel in northern Germany.
The German Ten-Tec distributor recently moved his operations to Kiel, just 3
miles away from where my in-laws live.
So I killed two birds with one stone, got out of the house and visited
Appello-Funk.

Besides picking up a German language manual for my Eagle, I got a chance to
see, touch and smell a Model 418.
It is one lovely piece of equipment and at least from the outside, seems to
be of excellent build quality.
Unfortunately they would not allow me to pull the skins.

There was some talk here of it being overpriced.
Though it's not cheap, if you need a QRP to 100w amp, this has to be a
serious candidate.
There are some cheaper amps on the market, especially from Italy, but they
all resemble VHF amps - not something you would be proud to place on your
desk.

I had a Model 405(50w) amp for nearly 20 years.
Although it looked a bit like a toy, it was a reliable piece of equipment
and withstood countless motorbike camping trips, despite dust, salt spray,
etc.
I sold it for about the same price I paid for it, even though it was 20
years old.
If you need an amp in this class, in my opinion the 418 is well worth the
investment.

73
Rick, DJ0IP