Re: [TenTec] Hercules II Problem

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Hercules II Problem
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2012 20:37:11 -0700
On 10/2/2012 7:56 PM, John Farler wrote:
But I hooked the amp itself to an 80 amp MFJ Switcher through
the mobile cable.  The amp worked in that it amplified the
signal with good out and fidelity

Many Herc II owners, me included, have never owned the Ten Tec power supply. For a while, I used a pair of Astron 70A supplies with their control voltages bused together. That worked fine, but they are HEAVY! Several years ago, I loaned my Herc II to a friend who wanted an amp for a DX trip. He returned it with a 100A industrial quality switching power supply that he had bought for it. I haven't used the Astrons since. :)

I just packed the Herc II to take it on an expedition to Tehama county (near Red Bluff, about 200 miles N of San Francisco) for the California QSO Party this weekend. If you work NI6T, you'll be working Garry (NI6T), me, N3ZZ, K6MI, or W6GJB. The rigs will be 3 K3s, driving that Herc II and a couple of KPA500s.

CQP is a fun weekend. Part of the contest is attempting to work all 58 CA counties, and every year several dozen hams do that. Some counties are quite remote, with no hams living there, but the major CA contest clubs make a serious effort to make sure that every county has a serious QSO party operation.

And, if that isn't enough, you'll get a Worked All California Counties certificate if you work them all during the contest and turn in your log! No need to send cards. Dennis, W1UE, has managed to work all the counties in the first six hours of the contest, and worked all of them from Jamaica last year.

73, Jim K9YC