Re: [TenTec] Resurrecting Hercules 444 amp

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Resurrecting Hercules 444 amp
From: "Mike Hyder -N4NT-" <Mike_N4NT@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 07:23:21 -0400
Hi Pat,

Speaking only from my dim memory of my 444 amp as it was before it caught fire, was successfully repaired at Ten-Tec and returned with their note that it was the last time a 444 would darken their doors...

I used the 444 with my 546 Omni-C and liked it pretty well except when its fan went into overdrive, sounding like a 747 landing with engines in full-reverse. Bandswitching on the amp was controlled from the Omni by a stepping-switch or stepping-relay in the amp. I asked Larry Wirth (maybe Worth) if the Corsair II could be equipped with contacts to operate the 444's bandswitching and what that modification might cost. He took me into a conference room or library and we met with Al Kahn. Larry explained my questions about the Corsair II. Al asked what rig I was currently using with the amp. I told him of my Omni-C and his response was, "If you've got an Omni-C, you don't need a Corsair II."

A year or so later, the amp failed. I saw no flames but, as my Granddaddy said, "Where there's smoke..." I drove down to Sevierville and left my dead 444 with them for repair. When I picked it up, I was told that my 444 was the last one they would repair and mine had just had it's last trip across their bench.

Without knowing, I surmise that the stepping-switch was probably NOT the actual bandswitch but likely actuated various relays to accomplished the needed switching. If this be true, then failure of one of the relays might explain a trouble which occurs only on 80 meters. I believe there are low-pass filters for each band which might also be worth an inspection.

Best of luck. Once Ten-Tec told me my amp would be considered "beyond repair" in the future, I sold it... many years ago.

73, Mike Hyder  -N4NT-

----- Original Message ----- From: "Pat Moore" <pmoore44@gmail.com>