[TenTec] ~

To: TenTec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] ~
From: Markus Hansen <mkve7ca@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 09:10:03 -0800
OMNI VI Problem fixed.

Recently my OMNI VI+ began behaving erratically.  When listening to a signal,
all of a sudden it would quickly drift off frequency and then there would be no
receiver output.  Turning the transceiver off and then on would usually fix the
problem but one day there was no received signal when I switched it on even
though the digital display showed the correct frequency and turning the VFO
caused the frequency to change

I suspected the 5.0-5.5 MHZ PLL was the problem so I checked the output at
connector #85 of the PLL Board (81599) with my scope.  The output level was
very low (-5dBm instead of +17 dBm) and the output frequency was in the 9 MHZ
range.  I began poking around and found out that if I squeezed the tin
enclosure surrounding the VCO, the output would jump to the correct freq.  The
tin enclosure is soldered to the PC board in two places and one of the
soldering joints had come loose from the PC board.  I carefully resoldered it
and also added two more solder joints from the tin enclosure to the ground
plane of the PC board.  Problem fixed.

By the way I had called the service department of TEN TEC a gentlemen told me
they did not have an exchange program for OMNI VI  boards.  I would have had to
ship the whole transceiver to them for repair.

Markus Hansen VE7CA
North Vancouver, BC  CANADA
WEB:  ve7ca.net