Re: [TenTec] Trying to save a Paragon, help!

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Trying to save a Paragon, help!
From: "Robert Mcgraw" <rmcgraw@blomand.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 14:05:48 -0600 (CST)
Cleaning the connectors on the interconnection cables is a good start and
very good suggestion.  Some type of contact cleaner will also assist.
Remember on contact cleaner,  "LEAST IS BEST"  don't drown the radio.

The 9V battery is only to keep the memory alive when the PS is off.  It
should be a NiCad as it is recharged from the PS.

There is a 4.7 uF capacitor on one pin of the Microprocessor.  This C and
a series R form a reset circuit to allow the RAM to load before the MP
starts running.  If the RAM has not fully loaded when the MP starts, no
telling what configuration the radio will come up in.  The electrolytics
get old, dry out and decrease in effective value, thus reducing the RC
delay.  If in doubt, change the C.

73
Bob, K4TAX