Re: [TenTec] Transverter or separate rig?

To: <jack@w9owo.com>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Transverter or separate rig?
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 13:05:26 -0600
The DownEast Microwave transverters will leave all the others, FT-950 and the other 2M rig included, in the dust so to speak. I have 3 of those at present, 144MHz, 432MHz and 1296MHz. I did build my own interface, attenuator and switching arrangement to allow each to work with the Omni VII as it has no transverter output. I just attenuate the 10M TX output from 20 watts to about 10 mW via a simple resistive attenuator. I use the separate RX input for receive. Those transverters then drive solid state brick amps which then drive PA's to legal limit or so.

Just my take on things as I choose to spend $300 or so for transverters as opposed to $3000 for a radio that, likely by comparison, is only mediocre for those bands. The Omni VII has a really good performing receiver and provides 100 watts out on 6M. Of course, my approach has more pieces, more cables, more switching and better performance.

The Eagle at some $2000 plus a few transverters and associated hardware will take you all the way from 160M to the microwave bands.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: <jack@w9owo.com>