[TenTec] FS: Century 21 Analog

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] FS: Century 21 Analog
From: Don Allen <w9cw@w9cw.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2013 20:13:39 -0600
I have a Model 570 (analog) Century 21 for sale. Serial Number is 3047. Overall aesthetics are a solid 9, perhaps 9.5. The front panel is perfect, and the knobs and knob inserts are excellent as well. There are a few minor scuff marks on the vinyl cabinet top, but not very noticeable - absolutely no tears in the vinyl. I purchased the Century 21 from the original owner last summer, and he replaced the drivers and finals with the latest replacements for the original MRF472s and MRF475s (2SC1969s and 2SC2314s). Output is a solid 30W plus. The original owner rebuilt the PTO, and the PTO is smooth, but has some dial backlash (not PTO backlash) - not atypical of the analog C21. Ten-Tec still sells the PTO rebuilt kit and their Service Department still services the C21. IMO... the dial backlash is probably due to incorrect loading of the gears for the dial. Otherwise, everything else works as I remember (pros and cons :-) ) when I owned a new C21 back in 1978. The 3 position audio filter works fine, and the bandswitch is clean and solid. The "Zero Beat" and "Set Drive" push buttons are original. Includes original owner's manual. I will be happy to e-mail JPGs upon request.

One surprising aspect of the receiver is how it responds, or should I say doesn't respond, to transients on the AC line or even distant lightning strikes. Unlike my DSP-based transceivers where the AGC will cause a "tick" on such transients, you never hear these on the C21. Of course, the C21 doesn't use AGC, not even the audio-derived AGC, as in the 540 series or the original Omni - maybe that explains it!

$185.00, plus shipping. No charge for packaging materials. Personal check or money order.

Any questions, pse let me know.

Tnx es 73
Don W9CW
Urbana, IL 61802