Re: [TenTec] OT: Openwire Balanced Antenna Tuners (QST Test)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Openwire Balanced Antenna Tuners (QST Test)
From: Al Gulseth <wb5jnc@centurytel.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 09:58:06 -0600
Rick,

TNX for the spreadsheet - it's an interesting read. What I gleaned in a quick
analysis is that while they aren't as convenient, the "old school"
link-coupled tuners (in this case, the Johnson Matchboxes) seem to hold their
own pretty well against the newer technology, especially when it comes to
efficiency. Maybe there's something to be said for the use of air-wound
inductors and good quality variable caps (as opposed to toroidal inductors
and fixed caps) when it comes to antenna tuners?

73, Al