Re: [TenTec] ORION 565 - White Screen and won't boot up

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ORION 565 - White Screen and won't boot up
From: Edward Feustel <efeustel@hughes.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 18:53:25 -0500
On 2/18/2013 1:16 PM, Barrett Thompson wrote:
I'm having an issue with my ORION 565 and wanted to hear from this group
before shipping back to TenTec.

About two weeks ago I replaced the Snaphat battery which retains the memory
settings.  Rig worked fine for 3 days after that, then on the 4th day I
turned it on and saw the usual TenTec logo and the words "System
screen, no relays click inside the rig, no light behind the S-meter, and
the rig doesn't respond to any buttons.

I tried the following:

Master Reset - ANT1 RX/TX button and Pwr button.  The master reset sequence
began and asked me a couple of questions, then stopped prematurely and the
rig returned to the state described above.

RAM Clear - VFO B Lck and Pwr button.  Seems to go through this sequence
OK, but rig returns to the state above.

Firmware load - USER 2 and Pwr button.  Enters the loading program and says
"Press any key to exit" but when I hit a key, radio returns to the dead
state with a blank screen.

On advice from Ten-Tec service I checked the A9 power distribution board.
  All voltages are correct including the -20.5 on the dual-pin connector.
  Ten-Tec is asking me to send the rig to them for repair, but they have a
6-8 week turnaround currently.  Anything more I can do on my end before
shipping it out?  Any correlation between this failure and the battery
replacement?

Thanks,

Barrett / KE4R
Fayetteville, GA

Barrett,
Did you check the battery voltage before you put it in? If it was a low voltage battery to start, it might have failed, zeroing the CMOS. Remove and check the battery again. If it is not above 3 volts, I'd order another. Only about 3 days to get another from Ten Tec.
73,
Ed,N5EI