[TenTec] AMATUER RADIO IS ALIVE AND WELL

To: <tentec@mailman.qth.net>, <tentec@contesting.com>, <TenTec_539@yahoogroups.com>, <TenTec_Eagle@yahoogroups.com>, <TenTec@yahoogroups.com>, <Ten-Tec-Omni-VII@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [TenTec] AMATUER RADIO IS ALIVE AND WELL
From: "John Occhipinti" <k3ur@att.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 10:11:05 -0500
Sunday has arrived and Amateur Radio Operators are all geared up for a plethora
of activites on the ham bands which includes; DX, contesting, maritime nets,
special events, round table discussions, various nets named for specific
radios, veterans nets, a multiplicity of other nets and let's not forget the
TEN-TEC 40 meter and 20 meter SSB nets.

The TEN-TEC 40 meter SSB net will be meeting today at 20:00 UTC somewhere in
the vicinity of 7.250 to 7.270 (wherever we can find a clear frequency that is
not already in use). I will personally be on 40 meters at 19:00 UTC looking for
a clear frequency to run our net today. I am asking for several of our regular
stations to meet me in that area of the band at that time.

The TEN-TEC 20 meter SSB net will meet at 21:00 UTC on or about  14.325
(depending on if it is occupied by other Amateur Radio Operators).

Amateur Radio Operators are no different than any other person (as our founding
fathers declared; "we are all created equal") and we are also prone to forget
certain things as time goes by. Every baseball team, no matter how good or
great the batters may be, always take batting practice before every game.

Many of us Amateur Radio Operators need to be reminded of the day that we took
our test and became licensed operators. We knew that this was a great
priviledge, but as time goes by, we feel that we do not need to take batting
practice anymore and this causes the
Amateur Radio bands to deteriorate and spark division and controversy with
other ham operators who we do not like or agree with.

So, I am taking batting practice today and posting something that was written
in 1928 by Paul M. Segal, W9EEA called, "The Amateur's Code".

The Radio Amateur is:

1.CONSIDERATE, never knowingly operates in such a way as to lesson the pleasure
of others.

2.LOYAL, offers loyalty, encouragement and support to other amateurs, loyal
clubs, and the American Radio Relay League, through which Amatuer Radio in the
United States is represented nationally and internationally.

3.PROGRESSIVE, with the knowledge abreast of science, a well-built and
efficient station and operation above reproach.

4.FRIENDLY: slow and patient operating when requested; friendly advice and
counsel to the beginner; kindly assistance, cooperation and consideration for
the interests of others. These are the hallmarks of the amateur spirit.

5.BALANCED: radio is avocaton, never interfering with duties owed to family,
job, school or community.

6.PATRIOTIC: station and skill always ready for service to country and
community.

When these are put into practice, the weakest batter on the TEN-TEC team will
be batting .400 and we all will be winners in the game of life! Thank you for
your time.

John, K3UR

http://www.qrz.com/db/k3ur
John D. Occhipinti, K3UR