Re: [TenTec] Need help with corsair ii

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Need help with corsair ii
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 12:21:36 -0700
On 3/25/2013 10:04 AM, Wade Staggs wrote:
  If I wire a Low Impedance Microphone to
my SB-101, HW-101, Swan MB-40, Ten Tec Corsair, Omni D or Drake TR4C the
Microphone gain must be run at a much higher level.

Of course. That's the difference between a Hi-Z mic and a Lo-Z mic. And nearly all mics sold for use with ham gear are Lo-Z mics. There's nothing wrong with increasing the gain to accommodate the low-Z mic as long as doing so doesn't add audible circuit noise. That's what I'm talking about with "available gain."

Don't forget that Ten Tec was founded by Al Kahn, K4FW, who with Lou Burroughs also founded Electro Voice thirty years earlier. EV was then and still is one of the top manufacturers of pro mics. From the 50s through the early 80s, they virtually OWNED the broadcast market for mics, and during the time Al was an owner, they were a major innovator.

73, Jim K9YC