Re: [TenTec] 9420 PS Problem

To: "n4py3@earthlink.net" <n4py3@earthlink.net>, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 9420 PS Problem
From: Rick W <ve7tk@yahoo.ca>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 10:57:24 -0700 (PDT)
Looking at my calculations (assuming 0.7 V drop on each diode):

    (12.6 VAC * 1.414) - (2 * 0.7) = 16.4 VDC at the regulator.

When you add in any capacitor ripple I think this is pretty close to the
margin.  I think you are right Carl.  I need closer to 18 VDC at the regulator.

A 16 VAC transformer would give me 21.2 VDC and that is well within the specs
of the 7815.

I have found a dual primary (115/230 VAC) transformer with 8/16 VAC out at
5.4/2.7 amps (parallel/series ratings).  The physical size is close to the
original (Digi-Key P.N.  237-1261-ND).  Cost is $11.14 CAN plus shipping and
taxes.

73,
Rick
VE7TK