[TenTec] Hercules II 9420 power on

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Hercules II 9420 power on
From: k6jek <k6jek@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 16:31:03 -0700
I would like to turn on the 9420 and Hercules II from the 4 pin transceiver
connector on the 9420. I've seen older posts but didn't quite get an answer or
at least I couldn't figure it out.

According to the power supply (9420) manual page 3-7 second paragraph:

"... This voltage is used to pull in the main power on relays, K1 and K2, by
one of two methods. When the 420 amplifier is switched on +15 VDC is routed
back down the amplifier power cable to J7 and on to Q7, the relay switching
transistor. Q7 pulls in the main power-on relays and powers up the four high
current regulators. Alternatively, the amplifier can be off and and if a load
is connected to the POWER ON pin of the TRANSCEIVER CONNECTOR (pin 3), Q7 will
be biased on and will provide the power-on signal to Q7. In this way the supply
can detect when a transceiver has been turned on and will automatically power
itself up"

I did not hook up a transceiver. I faked it with a resistor to present a load,
a 1.2K then a 600 ohm, pin 3 to pin 1. Sure enough relays clicked. The power
supply hummed. The Hercules II did not power up.

There is confusion about the pin numbers:

Silk screened on amplifier and FIGURE 2-2 in the manual:

        1: GND
        2: PWR ON
        3: +13.5V LO
        4: +13.5V 20A

Schematic:

        1: XCVR PWR (HI I)
        2: XCVR PWR (LO I)
        3: Power ON
        4: XCVR GND

Text

        POWER ON (pin 3)

Two have it one way. Two have it the other way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.