Re: [TenTec] Re Service Queue

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re Service Queue
From: "Robert Mcgraw" <rmcgraw@blomand.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 17:06:26 -0500 (CDT)
There is a torque spec for tightening the screws.  Read it, believe it,
and apply it.  You won't be sorry.

73
Bob, K4TAX

> Al et al.....
>
> Those of us to whom changing final transistors has become routine, often
> overlook a small but crucial point when explaining to others just how to
> go about doing it.
>
> After you've removed the old transistors, clean the pads well and make
> sure the sink surface is clean.  Then, after applying compound to the
> transistors, mount them and tighten the screws BEFORE SOLDERING the
> wings.
>
> If you solder before tightening the screws, you'll likely pop the metal
> sink off the backside of the transistor, and that cannot be repaired.
> So, if you're a fan of MP devices, neither of your new transistors are
> useable and you'll need a new matched pair.
>
> Other than that, it's pretty simple.  You shouldn't be afraid to tackle
> it yourself.
>
> Phil C. Sr.
> k4dpk
>

> On 6/13/2013 1:39 PM, Wade Staggs wrote:
>> I would love to work for Ten Tec in the Service Dept. Problem is, I am
>> tied
>> to the Middle Tennessee area due to Family concerns. I have done lots
>> of
>> older Argonauts all the way through Corsair, Paragon and Omni 6. Nobody
>> has
>> ask me to repair the newer stuff yet ! I have always found Paul, Gary,
>> John
>> and the whole crew to be Very Helpful. Once you become accustomed to
>> the
>> way Ten Tec lays out their schematics and learn some of the common
>> problems
>> .... they are a Joy to work on.
>> Final Replacement ....?? 1. Remove old Finals 2. Replace with new ones.
>> Make sure that all soldering is done neatly using enough heat. Some
>> care is
>> needed here, there is a fine line between enough heat and too much.  3.
>> Check and adjust Bias if needed and neatly reassemble the radio, paying
>> close attention to connectors and the placement of cables. I know of
>> nothing more that has to be tuned or aligned. If, I had a full Lab
>> Bench I
>> would probably check things out a lot closer. My equipment is the good
>> stuff but, very old. Thanks to John Henry, Paul and Gary... and the
>> entire
>> Ten Tec Staff for their support.
>>
>>     73 de Wade/KJ4WS
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 11:16 AM, Al Sirois <alsirois@roadrunner.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Thursday, noontime: John Henry:
>>>
>>> Thanks for the support of TenTec SERVICE.
>>>                                                          =======
>>> 6 months ago I tried to have finals replaced in my Delta-II; Service
>>> told
>>> me it was not worth to do it.

>>> That should be a decision the the owner should make. They would not
>>> give
>>> me an estimate of repair.

> [...]

Disclosure:
I am a Tentec Ambassador and compensated according to the Tentec
Ambassador plan. I serve as a volunteer beta test person for the Omni
VII, Eagle and Argonaut VI products.   Otherwise, I hold no business or
employment interest with Tentec.