Re: [TenTec] Orion 2 situation

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion 2 situation
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 18:45:33 +0200
There is too much competition for knob-less radios, Denton.
Besides Flex, there are half a dozen other companies producing good SDR
radios here.

It's nice to dream but keep in mind, the more gizmos you add to a radio, the
higher the cost and the greater the chance of something breaking.  Also, the
cost of ownership goes way up due to repair bills.

One thing Ten-Tec needs to do is grow its market share outside of the US.
This will get the volumes up.
So far they have failed to accomplish that.
One of the reasons is, it's too difficult for a local distributor to support
and repair the rigs if they are too complex.
They need to keep it modular and supply the foreign distributors with a set
of spares so they can perform repairs locally.

I see Ten-Tec's niche in building a large box, great performing radio with a
modest set of features, and keeping it under $5K.
The radio to beat is going to be the TS-990.
Icom and Yaesu are "has beens" in the up-scale market.
They urgently need to come out with something better and for a lot less
money than what they currently cost.

Someone said it earlier: the money is in the low end.
The company I work for makes some outstanding products but they really only
help keep our image up.
We stay in business by selling a high volume of low-tech stuff for under
$100 to the masses.

73
Rick, DJ0IP